Pages

Friday 5 August 2016

Quieter Thursday

Thursday was mostly spent at the hotel. In the morning I created a spreadsheet showing all the requests I have had so far, both from the meeting on Monday and from other sources. I say "in the morning" but in fact it took most of the day, and some of the evening as well. I have discovered that, although the Google sheets app for iPad is good, it is not as easy to use as Excel, particularly with a slow internet connection and a sheet with 80+ photos.
In the early afternoon I had arranged to go to Nakumatt with Jess to withdraw more cash from the charity funding. (Only after getting back to the hotel did we realise that, although Kenyan cash machines only allow the withdrawal of 40000 KSH - about £300 - at a time, you can do this more than once in a day! However, the maximum daily withdrawal on the card I have is £500, so I haven't missed out too much.) On our return Jess and I sat and chilled for the most part, sitting on my veranda and sharing some wine.

I also met with Patrick.   Patrick is a chef at the hotel, a really lovely man who friends of mine have got to know over a period of years. I had asked him about the pans some of the women had requested, and today he told me that he had found where to buy them and the cost. I gave him the money so that he could buy them on his way to work on Friday.  So that is some more women whose requests can be granted.
I sat and enjoyed the antics of the monkeys from my veranda in the late afternoon. 


Also saw two very interesting birds, which I failed to photograph but will try if they reappear.
In the evening I completed more work on my spreadsheet, with the challenges of a very flakey Internet, caught up on emails and arranged to visit Juma's family on Sunday.

4 comments:

  1. You have still done slot today,don't know about a quieter day. All sounds very positive and lots of my friends and family are following your blog x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing it, Ronnie. It is so encouraging to know that others are following the story. Your comments are so much appreciated as well.

      Delete
  2. Sounds far from a quiet day . Everything seems to be going really well. What a fantastic first week !!!! Try and get some relaxation time for you . Hope your enjoying the experience and the fabulous work you are doing . X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your comments, Michelle. They help me not to feel alone in what I am doing, and I really appreciate the prayer support as well. I am enjoying this - still can't quite believe I am doing it and there are massive moments of doubt at times. I am taking time to relax each day, really I am - and I think I will be doing more relaxing once everyone else arrives. At the moment it seems to be all systems go to get everything organised and bought!

      Delete