Thursday, 4 August 2016

Shopping part 1!

Today was a very satisfying day! 
Over breakfast at Severin Sea Lodge, I was able to talk with Patrick, one of the chefs.  I asked him about the frying pan and chapatti pan I have been asked for, and whether I would be able to buy these at Nakumatt.  He told me that the type I could buy there would not last long on a jiko (the charcoal stove used here) and that he would find out, on his way home that evening, where I could buy the heavier type and how much they would cost, and then take me to buy them.  That was a really good start, and I am so grateful for the help and advice locals are giving me in this venture.
Zachariah picked me up, along with Jess and Tony (who bravely got a matatu from Utange to Bamburi) and we headed for Nakumatt.  Zachariah had arranged for his wife Mwembe and daughter Josephine Agnes to meet me there, and we spoke for a while about her business idea.  As Zachariah had found a cheaper market stall than the first option he had, I was able to withdraw and give him the 37,000 KSH he needed for the first three months' rent and first year's trading license. He immediately went off to pay this and secure the stall, while Jess, Tony and I went to Nakumatt.

In Nakumatt I was able to buy several of the items which I had been asked for by the women.  I am much happier buying items than giving money, and indeed Zachariah is one of very few I would trust to hand over large amounts of money to.

After shopping, Jess very kindly treated me to one of the most enjoyed cold drinks I have had in a while, at the patisserie. 
Then it was back to Utange and Casuarina house - where I thoroughly enjoyed a plate of Salime's fried potatoes.
Jess then took me to see Sylvia, who was the lady who had requested a blender for her juice making business.

 We met her walking down the street towards us.

She was delighted to be given the blender and took me to see round her home and preparation area.

 She lives in a brick built house on the main street.  Once through her main room, she has a small yard where she keeps chickens.
 Her food area is off this.
 She rapidly unpacked the blender and was ready to demonstrate to me how she makes her juices, but I told her we would wait to see that!
 She has a spotlessly clean washing area:
 and a freezer where she stores her finished juices.
 Jess and I each bought one to take home and I can testify that they are delicious!

After that I met with Christopher who has been recommended by Debbie.  I asked him to begin work on the water tank and pump for Mattias and Sara, and to cost up three other projects which need building.  I also asked him to find out the cost and sourcing of sewing machines for me.

Following that I met with Sonia.  She and Jimmy have been offered a place on our church intern program in September, but need to find the cost (£230 each) for their visas.  When Debbie told me that she did not know how they could find this money, I suggested that I would give them £100 each from my business start up fund which they could use, as in the parable of the talents, to make more money.  Sonia immediately had an idea and it was a pleasure to give her the money today.  Realistically they need to start the visa application process within a week.
Debbie and Paul had returned by this time and we all headed out to deliver some lamps.  The first set were to go to Zimla (I think!) school.  At first it looked like this would not be possible as there seemed to be no adults around.  However we eventually met the pastor, and then he directed us to the staffroom where there were some teachers. 

Soon after that, the head teacher arrived and we were able to hand over the ten lamps - five for teachers and five for the most improved pupils.

Then we headed to Mikoroshoni school.  It was an extremely bumpy ride!
I am trying to fit in with the local people, as you will realise from my attire today, and am practising carrying as African ladies do.  I have not yet reached their skills, however, and still need to hold on to whatever is on my head!  My efforts did seem to give rise to some amusement.
Unfortunately, even though Paul had arranged to meet the pastor who oversees the school there, nobody except the caretaker was around.  Although a teacher was summoned, we decided to return on Monday when the pupils will be at school, so that I can personally hand out the lamps to staff and pupils.

A little girl had welcomed us when we arrived in the village, and she was still there when we left.  I gave her one of the foam balls I brought out with me to hand out to children and she was delighted.
Finally we headed off to another part of Utange, to see the site and progress of the new High School, for which the Utange Orphans project is currently fundraising.  This is in an idyllic setting, on top of a hill and overlooking farming land.
It was good to see the foundations in place for part of the school,

and being dug for the second part.
A well is also being dug:
Outside the school site we encountered a family and a large group of children - very photogenic and they seemed to very much enjoy the balls I gave them!

After all these excursions we headed back to Casuarina house, and Debbie brought me back to the hotel.  A very full day!


  1. I can't keep up !!! Yet more fantastic news. Amazing work . Your progress seems to be spreading. God is going fantastic work through you, an obedient servant . Xx

    1. Thank you Michelle. I am looking forward to seeing all of these steps come to fruition.

  2. Thanks for keeping us so we'll updated. It's amazing what you are doing. You look good in your African dress,a bit more practice before you carry water on your head. Can't wait to join you in your adventures x

  3. Thank you Ronnie. I have three African dresses now, though one is really poolside wear. I may end up with another one yet, if I can get one made by one of the ladies here!